Friday, October 12, 2007

The Power of molasses, 'Cause she likes molasses

We bake in our house, and often we bake well.

Thursday night I made a "fresh ginger cake" from The Joy of Cooking. I have a great relationship with The Joy of Cooking. The strangest (and most beautiful) thing I ever cooked from it was a grape pie, which can be credited to Matt Blake*. Matt Blake once cooked a banana pie.


The cake turned out deliciously. (Although I let it cool more than the recommended 10 min, and it still fell apart when flipped!)

The truth is that this cake is a molasses ginger cake. Lauren and I did some reading about molasses to understand it better. Look what I learned:

In 1919 there was a molasses FLOOD in Boston, because a tank holding molasses for alcohol exploded. !


People actually died because of a 35mph wave of molasses. "It was like any horrible disaster scene, with the addition that everything was covered in smelly sticky brown molasses."

On a better note, I have a 78 that I love with The Andrews Sisters singing a great 1950's song called "Molasses Molasses"

"I went to see my sweetie just the other day.
She had supper ready; wanted me to stay.
She didn't have no 'taters; didn't have no meat.
Just a big black jug of molasses was all she had to eat.
'Cause she likes molasses, good ol' country sorghum.
She eats 'em in the summer and the fall.
When they trickle down my chin, I let her lick 'em off again;
That's the way I like 'em best of all!

Molasses, Molasses, That icky sticky goo
Molasses, Molasses, It always sticks to you . . ."



*Matt Blake, where is your internet presence?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The great molasses massacre of '19 is one of my favorite disasters of all time. Also, in my new state, they're pouring dumptrucks full of molasses into the ground as some sort of nuclear clean-up.

rachel said...

Of course it is! Do you like the salt mine one from Jefferson Island, Louisiana, too?

Do you know why molasses is good for nuclear clean-up?

Anonymous said...

I'm not familiar with the salt mine catastrophy. Did a bunch of salt explode through the air like a seasoning vesuvius?

As I understand it, dumping molasses into the ground will cause bacteria to reproduce/fission like crazy, thus eating up all the oxygen. Once all the air's gone, some other elements in the ground will change to less deadly types, or something like that.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003930990_hanfordmolasses0.html

DK said...

I know i'm behind the ball here, but i would just like to add that black strap molasses sipped right from the bottle is better than marijuana. seriously.

Anonymous said...

My friend and I were recently talking about the prevalence of technology in our day to day lives. Reading this post makes me think back to that discussion we had, and just how inseparable from electronics we have all become.

I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Ethical concerns aside... I just hope that as memory becomes cheaper, the possibility of downloading our memories onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's a fantasy that I dream about every once in a while.

(Submitted on ComP for R4i Nintendo DS.)

Anonymous said...

Email Marketing
very handy, thanx a lot for this blog ........ This is exactly what I was looking for.

fifty nifty stories said...

Whats wrong. What do you say.
adult incest masturbation stories
nifty erotic stories archive.url
tied whipped bdsm stories
true sex stories teen fatherdaughter
erotic bondage stories
Whats wrong. What do you say.