Wednesday, September 19, 2007

More Emo than Emo Jenni



Friends, let me begin by saying hello and thank you! I am so happy and honored to have become the second longest ponytail! I have here my first post, which may seem too grim emo, but I like to put these things out to the universe so that it knows I'm working on it, not ignoring it. I hope it doesn't get me kicked off the blog.

Lauren recently told Emo Jenni and I about all the dead things (mostly birds) she has seen in the last week. A dead hummingbird on 24th (?), a dead butterfly in the street, there were more. Emo Jenni added to the list, too.

Today as I washed some blinds in our backyard a pigeon fell (from the tree?) and it was so screwed up it already looked dead. A broken wing, all wet or greasy or oily (I'm so paranoid about the Greenpoint Oil Spill), lots of missing feathers, and you could see its spine when it bent over; I thought to myself, if I were a pigeon, I'd think death had come to get me. It hung out with me while I cleaned, drinking water at my feet and unphased by my movements/proximity. If I was moneyed I would have saved it, because it was the sweetest and cutest pigeon ever.

I forgot to mention to Lauren and Emo Jenni that my last week of college I saw one-to-many dead birds a day. The last one I saw was on the way to visit my very dear 92 year old friend for what I knew would be the last time, and I almost stepped on it. This left me standing in the street outside of her house sobbing.

The question is this: the dead birds obviously represented so many things for me then: the death of college, of relationships and memories, of security, of pubescent adulthood. But what's with the strange dead birds now? I feel like my friend today was hopeful in some way. Unless when I bring the blinds in tonight it's lying stone cold on the concrete.

4 comments:

Jenni said...

I strongly object to:

1. being called "Emo Jenni," and
2. dead birds.

I object, but not as strongly, to:

1. that photograph, and
2. oily, crippled birds flapping their broken wings in our backyard.

Ew!

Anonymous said...

all right,

so we've been running into a little death here. this is (at least in my world) perfectly natural. I don't mean that in fucking Lion King way, or an emo way or any such thing. Nothing is dying in your life, not relationships or innocence or nothin. What you got going here is a little ass kick of newness in your life. New life, New York, new uncertainty, not to mention new, death saturated season. Yeah, fall. fall down dead. Your all raw dude. raw and exposed to newness. So the fact that the birds and butterflies are laying down at your feet just means that they sense that your tapped into a level of openness,newness,uncertainty that people walking around thinking they got shit figured out aren't exuding. Be thankful friend to the cool thing these creatures are letting you in on.

happy fall friend.
so much love crawling over from out west.

dirk

maddie v.h.s. said...

is dirk coming to visit us?

Anonymous said...

ok, cool... i just added lots of some other new emo backgrounds for my blog
http://www.emo-backgrounds.info