Sunday, August 19, 2007

catharsis

The party's not over until you vacuum twice and mop thrice, which i finally got around to doing this morning. I made a pot of coffee and started off listening to NPR, which got boring pretty quickly. Mecca Normal at a high volume was a much better choice. I worked up a sweat mopping and scrubbing and singing along with Jean Smith all alone in my big house. While i wouldn't describe mopping up the party's mess as fun, it was very satisfying. Dirt is a sign of a show done right.

That feeling made me start thinking about the conversation i had last night with my friend Chris, who was trying to convince me that he should stop making music because he's never gonna make any money doing it, and he's never gonna get famous. I made the mistake of arguing that it's still worth doing if it's still fun, but I should have chosen my words more carefully because Chris gets hung up on semantics. He tried to explain that writing a good song is fun in the same way climbing Mt. Everest is fun: it's hard, and not really fun AT ALL, but worth it. It was a pretty terrible analogy but i guess that's kinda how I'm feeling about mopping right now.

But mostly I just can't wait to set up a Mecca Normal show here!!!!!!!!

Anyway, took some pictures of Wednesday's festivities...


Liz Isenberg and our warm living room


Deer Tick in the "Library"


Thanks to Alaina for working the door!!!


A Women's Wear Daily Photographer showed up! And ate cookies!


Thank you! Come again!

1 comment:

Alaina Stamatis said...

just saw this now! so cute. hope all is well!